Illinois Votes for Birth Control
Illinois Votes for Birth Control Campaign
Take the pledge to vote "Yes" on election day.
The November 4, 2014 General Election ballot in Illinois will include an advisory referendum on birth control. Voters can answer "Yes" or "No". The ballot will ask this question:
"Shall any health insurance plan in Illinois that provides prescription drug coverage be required to include prescription birth control as part of that coverage?"
The Birth Control Referendum gives Illinoisans an opportunity to voice their opinion about the issue of birth control coverage in health insurance.
The results of the referendum will inform the governor and lawmakers as they explore ways to ensure that women have access to affordable birth control.
Why birth control matters:
- Birth control is nearly universal - 99% of sexually active women have used birth control at some point in their lives including the need to control certain medical conditions.
- Access to birth control improves the health of women and their families. Improved access to birth control is directly linked to declines in maternal and infant mortality.
- Women struggle with the cost of birth control. This is not just a health issue, it’s an economic issue. Co-pays for birth control pills can cost as much as $50 a month and that adds up.The Illinois Votes for Birth Control Campaign wants you to vote "Yes!" Illinoisans need to make sure that politicians know that women need access to affordable birth control no matter where they live, who they work for, or how much money they make.
What you can do to help:
The Illinois Votes for Birth Control Campaign wants you to vote "Yes!" on election day. Illinoisans need to make sure that politicians know that women need access to affordable birth control no matter where they live, who they work for, or how much money they make.
Vote "Yes" on the birth control referendum. Tell politicians that women's preventive care — including birth control — is basic health care that is essential to healthy women and healthy families.
- Take the pledge to vote "Yes" on November 4th.
- Volunteer for the Illinois Votes for Birth Control Campaign. Email email@example.com now for more information.
Learn more about online voter registration here.